Wah Lok Cantonese Restaurant

5:01 PM

A month back, we visited this restaurant to celebrate my Mum's birthday.
Since my Mum's side is canto and my grandparents were joining us, we settled for this place that we've heard about but have never tried:


This might sound exaggerated but I can't express how much I LOVEEE the food at this restaurant.
We took what we were recommended (they were so professional and patient) and whatever was ordered  didn't disappoint us!

APPETIZERS:

First up was the Fried Squid.
Unlike others that I've tried, their's was crispy on the outside yet retaining the right amount of 弹性 
("springy" is it? pardon my mix of languages and poor use of vocab)

Up next, we were served with Fried Century Egg.
I've always only had this in my porridge (I don't favour porridge) and I would never have thought of eating it this way. 
I would say that it didn't taste much of a difference from the usual just that it's more chewy.
But I would still say it was worth a try since it was something different after all.

MAIN DISHES: 

After we were done, we were each served with a Salted Egg Scallop on lettuce.
We only had 1 each but it was more than enough to make me fall in love with it.
It wasn't too oily and had the right amount of crisp and yet soft on the inside.
Paired with the fresh cool lettuce, it was simply perfection.
(I want 1 soo badly now as I type).

The 2nd dish was Stone Fish (?) Herbal Soup.
Didn't manage to get a photo of it but I liked it cause of it's herbal taste.
I've this thing for herbal tasting soup but for those who don't like those taste, I would say not to order it.
Our 3rd dish - Garlic Fried Broccoli.
Honest confession: I have never tasted broccoli in my life and this was my first.
I still wouldn't say that I like it and I will never order this if I'm given a choice.
(I'm so sorry to all who thinks broccoli is nice, it's just not my type of greens.)

Next is this pot of Fish which I sadly do not remember what fish it is.
It's not some fish you can easily find outside at normal stores and I'll say it's worth a try.
Its really tender yet with a slight crisp on the exterior.

Our last main dish was Braised Pig Trotters
I cannot explain how tender this is with the right amount of fats in it. 
Although this might be a commonly found dish, the one at Wah Lok has been by far one of the best I've tasted. 

DESSERT:

For myself, as usual, I ordered a Mango Pomelo Sago.
I would say that it's quite average tasting and I won't exactly say recommend ordering it.
If you're a fan of this, I would say to visit those shops that solely sell desserts. 
I'm sure you'll find those better tasting. 

My Dad and Sis ordered Osmanthus Cake & Pastry.
They said that the Osmanthus Cake was not bad but it's still not that comparable to the next dessert that I would be talking about which is also the best

They always say "keep the best for the last" therefore..
the best among all the dessert we've tried Fried Durian Ice Cream.
My Dad and Sis are huge fans of Durian, not me but apparently this won me over.
The ice cream is really freshly made and there's bits of durian in it.
If you're looking for a after meal dessert, I would recommend this.
If you're not a fan of durian, I would suggest you head over to a nearby store for some.

And soo, that's the end of what we had the other day.
Do share with me what other food you thought was good if you've eaten here before.
If you'll like to try this place out, here are the details you'll like to know:
Level 2 Carlton Hotel Singapore
76 Bras Basah Road
Tel: +65 6311 8188
Mon to Sat: 11.30am – 2.30pm, 6.30pm – 10.30pm
Sun & PH: 11am – 2.30pm, 6.30pm – 10.30pm
Nearest Station: City Hall

Do try to make a booking prior to going down cause it's usually quite full.
Lucky us managed to get the last table even though we reached at quite a considerably early timing.
So yupps~
P/s: I'll likely be posting about my Hong Kong trip next so stay tune~~ ^^

You Might Also Like

0 comments